Friday, March 26, 2010

Quilting with Others

Quilting with others occasionally is the best way to quilt. That way if you have any problems or questions or you need some motivation, you have someone there for you. It's also a big boost to have someone admire what you've accomplished once in a while. Another good reason, of course is that we learn from each other. That's why it's a good idea to sign up for a class or two once in a while or see if there's a local quilt group to join. Aside from the occasional class, I usually quilt alone, though and my husband is both my biggest fan and biggest critic.

Here in Alberta we live out in the country. When we first moved here we went to town one day to run some errands and get a feel of the place. Lo and behold, we stumbled on a sign on one street announcing a quilt show in progress! "How lucky could I get!" I thought. We paid the modest admission and eager to check out the huge variety of quilts on display on the walls. We were given a white cotton glove to wear so we could touch the quilts without the danger of getting anything on the works of beauty. In Manitoba where we had moved from, there was a lively group of quilter who always welcomed new members. "Wouldn't this be a great way to meet new people of similar interest?" I thought.

So I spoke to the woman taking admission to see if I could join their group of quilters. She wasn't sure she said, so she directed me to another woman who told me, no, they didn't want any new members. Their group was already large enough and too many members would make the monthly meetings in each others homes too difficult. My husband was floored! He took it as a snub, although that wasn't my first thought. I was disappointed, yes, but having rather good self esteem, I didn't take it as a rejection. I'm really rather a loner anyway so it didn't daunt me too much.

I mostly buy quilting magazines looking for patterns I like and I try things on my own. For some reason I'm not afraid of trying variations to a quilt pattern on my own and I often changed a pattern to suit my own needs. (but keep that 'under your hat', so to speak.)
One day I read in a quilting magazine that a quilter should always follow the quilt directions in the books and magazines they way they are set out because it is an insult to the creator of that pattern if you change it! I certainly never meant to offend anyone! I think it's just the opposite! Cudos to the creator of a quilt pattern that is so well thought out that it lends itself easily to be adapted for the needs of everyone! What do you think???

I have since met a friend, who I'll call Maggie, who lives in a small town about 35 km from us. maggie is a master quilter and very artistic. We met through a mutual knitting friend actually and I have "picked Maggie's brain" a few times about quilting issues. Maggie, it turns out, knows a number of the women in this elite group of quilters that didn't want me. But I haven't given up on them entirely! Maybe one day I'll try and join the quilt group again. Or better still, maybe one day I'll meet a few other 'lone quilters' and we'll form our own group! :)


Labels:

3 Comments:

At March 27, 2010 at 9:20 AM , Blogger Judy said...

Who needs them? I'd say form your own group of "super elite" quilters!
I really enjoy reading your blog!

 
At March 31, 2010 at 7:15 PM , Blogger Renae said...

I'm very happy to be learning to quilt from you mom! I've got my first ever quilt top done and ready for some border lessons next time I come to visit.

 
At April 5, 2010 at 2:27 PM , Blogger CarolaD said...

Sounds good, Sweetie! We'll find a weekend that works towards the end of April to get together and work on finishing the border and pinning together the layers. Then we'll do some machine quilting! :)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home