Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Delectible Dino and Parade of Bears





In the summer of 2012, I pieced some dinosaur blocks and put them together to create a baby quilt top called Delectible Dinos. The dinos have 3 dimensional 'floppy' feet and 2 of them also have 3D 'floppy' heads.  The rest of the dinosaur heads are appliquéd on.

I finally got around to adding the border, choosing a back fabric and quilting it all.  I machine quilted it with some 'ditch' quilting and some echo quilting around the dinos.  Then I machine quilted a simple pattern using free motion on the border.

To make the binding, I sewed together a bunch of 2 1/4 inch wide fabric scraps from this quilt and from another one I was working on that I call Parade of bears.  I like the effect of the colourful edge.

The quilt itself is 40 1/2 by 40 1/2 inches square. The back fabric is blue with little white stars, the same as the outer border.  I quite like this little quilt!   :D



Parade of Bears quilt

Parade of Bears baby quilt 41" by 41"


I used up some of my leftover fabrics and a some blue print fat quarters, cutting them into 2 1/2" inch by 12 1/2" inch strips to create blocks for this little number. :)

I  traced 18 teddy bears out on the wrong side of fabric scraps. Then with the help of 'Steam a Seam 2' ,  I appliquéd 2 Teddies onto  6 1/2" by 12 1/2" inch white rectangles. 



Teddy bear appliqued blocks


I pressed the teddy bears onto the fabric first and then stitched around the teddy bears with a zig zag stitch to make sure they couldn't move.

After that I added a 3" inch border around the outside. The back of the quilt is a light yellow stars fabric. After sandwiching and pinning, I machine quilted it: ditch quilting along the strips and echo quilting (free motion) around the teddy bears. (I used a fading marking pen to draw around the bears first.)




The completed quilt is 41" by 41' inches.


 I like it quite a lot and now I'm considering doing a similar version with pinks.  There are 6 babies that either have recently arrived or are about to arrive in the next few weeks, but who will end up with what, has not been determined yet. The first 3 babies were all boys. I'm hoping that at least 2 of the next 3 will be girls. I bought a lot of small sleepers in both pink and blue to give away along with a quilt, so I don't want to end up with all the pink ones left! :)

Our own new grand baby is due in 3 weeks or so. I'm so excited not only to find out the gender, but to hold and get to know another baby! :D





0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home