Saturday, March 27, 2010

Right Now...








Butterfly quilt top- saw tooth star pattern. (Still in progress at this stage...)











Back to the present!
What am I working on right now, you may wonder? (Or maybe not... lol!)
At this time I have 4 quilts in various stages of completion. Yes, I said 4! LOL!
I'm presently machine quilting a first birthday quilt for a friend's baby girl who celebrates her first birthday in May. The blocks are mostly a saw tooth star pattern made from glittery butterfly fabric. The background fabric is green with tiny white flowers and the butterflies are multicolored but mainly pink and purple.. Sound weird? I think it's turning out well! The photo of the quilt top speaks for itself. :) Size: about 54 X 61".

This is the 3rd time I've made this saw tooth star pattern in the last 5 months. I sometimes like to make the same pattern more than once for a couple of reasons. First, it's easy to make the same pattern again once you've ironed all the bugs out the first time, so it goes faster. Secondly, I love to see how the same pattern made with different fabrics can look so completely different, so unlike the first one ...

Are you wondering what happened to the first and second saw tooth star quilt top? Well, it all started last fall when I decided to make a throw sized quilt for my mother-in-law for Christmas. I saw a pattern I loved in a quilting magazine and bought some batik fabric to make it from. I loved the sawtooth star blocks made out of the colored batik fabric, but once the top was done it looked too 'youthful', not like an 82 yr. old mother-in-law quilt at all. It's still only a quilt top at this point and I haven't decided what I'm going to do with it yet, but I really like it..... (see below.)

The first batik sawtooth star quilt top














This one is still only a quilt top (but it's kitty approved! :)




Then I started a whole new quilt top made of saw tooth stars for my mother-in-law with different fabrics and this time I liked the results. The colors were greens and browns, a little darker than the batik, and I liked the finished results. (photo to follow...)




Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home