Saturday, January 4, 2014

Pink Chain Quilt




Because we did not know the gender of most of the new babies we were waiting for,  most of the quilts I had made recently were neutral (except for the blue Delectable Dino). 
I really wanted to make a 'girlie' one in pinks after that. I had seen this little chain block number in an earlier edition of  Quiltmaker magazine in greens (Child's Play Quilts from Quiltmaker's 100 Blocks - Spring 2013 Page 26-27).
I decided to make it in pink and white instead of green.

The blocks were quite simple:  Fabric strip sets of two 21/2 inch white with one 2 1/2 inch pink and the opposite, 2 pink strips and one white. 



The step sets were cut in 2 1/2 inch pieces then put together to form the 2 different blocks one 'large chain and one small chain.






They remind me of bandaids! :)



Once the 2 kinds of blocks were made, they were sewn alternating large chain with small chain



The centre of the quilt top has a 25 1/2 inch piece of interesting animal fabric. 
This was my first idea, but after sewing the chain blocks on 3 sides of the centre square, I soon realized that I didn't like the colours together. There was no real pink in the animal print.



I took the chains off the sides and went hunting for a new centre fabric that would compliment the pink chains better. Of course there was nothing in my stash of fabric, so I made a trip to town to the local quilt store. There wasn't a lot of good pink fabric prints there either.  I finally decided on a panel with cute kittens where the pinks matched better, but since it was rectangular, I had to add white fabric strips to the sides and bottom to make it 25 1/2 inches square.


I like the end results better and now just have to find a back fabric that will compliment it in order to make it into an actual quilt!

The quilt top is 40 inches square and will eventually make a cute quilt for a little girls baby/ toddler. :)  



Close up of kitty panel


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home