Sunday, January 24, 2016

Bows and Boughs- Christmas table runners


Bows and Boughs Runners


It's always nice to have a decorative table runner at Christmas. Long before I took up quilting, I had bought me first table runner at a craft sale and it was a Christmas one. It was quite simply made from two pieces of fabric, one of which had a border around it, but I loved it and still use it.  🎀


Since our daughter and her husband were hosting Christmas this year with all of his family plus a few from our side (about 16 people counting all the kids), I thought she should have a nice big fancy table runner for her huge dining room table.  I had enjoyed making the "Bows and Boughs" paper pieced presents and evergreen tree blocks so much that I decided to make some extra ones and turn it into a table runner for her.


 Paper pieced tree blocks and present and bow blocks

The bow blocks were the trickiest to make as they each involved 7 or 11 pieces.
The tree and present blocks are each 5 1/5 inches by 8 1/2 inches in size. I added a strip of white between each present block and tree block to make it 16 inches wide.





I made a similar Bows and Boughs block at both ends.  In between I put a strip of 2 1/2 inch dark green sashing then added a piece of red reindeer print fabric to the centre. Last I added a 2 1/2 inch dark green border to both sides of the runner.   This reindeer bows and boughs runner measures 21' X 58" in total.


I added the batting and the green mistletoe back fabric, then used the back fabric to the front to make a mock border.  Next I machine quilted it. I echo quilted 1/4 inch around the tress and presents in white thread, then ditch quilted around the sashing in dark green. I free-motion quilted a small mistletoe pattern on all the sashing in dark green thread, and did a simple meander pattern on top of the reindeer centre fabric.   Last came the mock edging.

I  liked this runner so much, I decided to make one for myself, so I continued paper piecing more bows, gifts and trees.  I chose a green swirl fabric for the centre of mine. My table is much smaller than my daughter's so I reduced the size of the centre fabric. I added the same dark green sashing to make a runner measuring 20 3/4 X 44.

20 3/4" X 44" Bows & Boughs runner- kitty approved!
I used an off white Christmas fabric for the back. After adding the batting to the middle, I sandwiched the 3 layers together, turned them right side out and quilted the top. I echo quilted around the trees and presents, then ditch quilted around the sashing.
Next I free motion quilted some mistletoes shapes into  the centre green fabric and also on the 2 centre sashing strips. I just did a simple swirly stitch on the outside sashing.
Last I sewed a 1/4 inch seam all around the border and I was done!

I'm really happy with how my table runner turned out! The only downside was that I didn't get mine finished till mid January! I guess it will just go into the linen closet till next Christmas.
After that I got industrious and started putting the extra tree and presents blocks together into place mats. Those are still unfinished, but I have lots of time to do that before Christmas 2016.  🎅



😊
Happy quilting!   

(Paper piece templates were from the McCall's Quilting magazine- Dec. 2011 issue pg 58)


Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home