Saturday, October 29, 2016

Echo Table Runners

Echo Table Runners
14" X 42" finished table runner


Echo blocks are made entirely from traced fabric pieces using 2 different templates that fit together to make the blocks.
It consists of 2 curved pieces of fabric sewn together, then 4 of those are sewn to each other to make the 18 1/2 inch blocks.



I had seen the pattern in a quilt magazine a few months before and decided to give it a whirl because it was quite different from anything I had tried before (except maybe the tessellating butterfly blocks that I am staying away from ! :)     (Quilter's World - Time Friendly Quilting May 2016 issue pg. 19)

We were going to a wedding in July and I thought it would make a unique gift.

We were also going on vacation in the fall to Italy and Germany and I wanted to make some table toppers to take along as thank you gifts for our hostesses, my German relatives.

 I liked the idea of using Bali Batik fabrics so I went hunting for some at the quilt store in Camrose, Quilting From the Heart, where they have a huge selection.

First pin the pieces together at both ends, then in the middle.


Can't have too many pins! :)

I cut the 2 template pieces out of template plastic, then began tracing on my fabrics and cutting them all out. then I began to mix and match the various pieces. When sewing the curved pieces together I found that it helped to pin them well, starting at both ends and then the middle. My best tool at that point was my tweezers which helped me make sure the fabrics were lined up properly to sew them perfectly. 

The one on the left has batting in the centre so I quilted a circular pattern on the blocks and meander pattern around the edge.
The one on the left just has thin webbing inside. That one is ditch quilted. (Made for Rosel)



My first runner, which was the wedding gift, I left in a rectangular shape. The next two, I cut the corners curved.

I traced the back fabric and batting, cut them out, then sandwiched them together with the runner, wrong sides facing, then sewed a 1/4 inch seam, leaving an opening to turn it right side out. Press it, then sew a generous 1.4 inch seam around the outside ( after hand stitching the opening closed.) 
Then last I machine quilted them.




I liked these blocks and table toppers so much that I made the place mats, too! :)








0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home