Wednesday, November 27, 2019

" Life At the Lake" Wallhanging June 2018

I started my "Life At the Lake " wall hanging in early June, 2018. I decided a while back that I needed to hang something intriguing on my empty bathroom wall space.  I thought a wall hanging depicting a variety of things found here at the lake in the summertime would be lovely to depict...

I had collected a variety of paper pieced block patterns to put together, some from the Quiltmaker magazine Summer 2015- a pattern called "Over by the Pond" and some were downloaded from Craftsy, and others were free on the internet.

I started off making 2 small foundation paper pieced dragonfly blocks, (6 1/4X 6 1/4")




Then I worked on 2 spiky plant blocks,  (7 1/2 X 7 1/2") both also foundation paper pieced. These were relatively easy and fun to make.




Next came the 2 Frog blocks, (7 1/2 X 9 1/4"). I found the directions in the Quiltmaker magazine Summer 2015.






After that I decided I wanted some butterfly blocks since there are a variety of butterflies here at the lake, notably the yellow swallowtails (usually found on my lilac blossoms in May) and one that looks similar to a Monarch.
I used a free patten from the internet called B is for Butterfly, (a butterfly from the side.)   (8 1/2 X 8 1/2"). and decided to make them bright and colourful. I went through my stash and found a variety of fabrics.




My next butterfly I wanted shown from the top. I found "Breezy Butterfly" by Marney (Marianne Hertzel@gmail.com)  I added some sashing to make it 8 1/2 X 8".








Next I downloaded a free dragonfly pond block called "Spring in the Pond", which was fun to make, (10 1/2 X 10 1/2")




Back of dragonfly/pond block


Segments of pink pond lily


Pink Pond Lily- I tried to buy this pattern off the internet, but none of the links I tried worked. I printed a copy of the pattern lines from Pinterest and magnified it 140%.
Then I drew heavy black lines around the segments and used markers to colour in the petals, lily pad and water.

Next I printed that a second time and cut the separate segments out. Now they needed 1/4 inch seams all around, so I glued them far apart so I could draw the seams on all of them.
Lastly I printed these up on a sheet of paper piecing paper to use. A lot of work! I would have gladly bought the pattern and saved all that hassle.





Pond/Water lily 
I love this water lily!

I arranged and rearranged all the blocks and auditioned some fabric to make the sashing in between the individual blocks.


Auditioning fabric to use for sashing
Last but not least I made 2 bumble bees to depict the hardworking pollinators in my garden which I love. In all the years I have been gardening (over 45 yrs) I have never been stung by a bee. I feel safe among them and I garden next to them and feel safe. They know That I love and appreciate them, and they have nothing to fear from me.

Voila! Over the Pond quilt completed.


I entered my wall hanging in the Heartland Quilt Show in Stettler, Alberta on June 8, 2019, and to my surprise I won a first prize ribbon for Small/ household category!   :D


At the Heartland Quilt Show June 8/19

One More!

My first ribbon, first prize!

I was so thrilled! Happy quilting everyone.














0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home