Thursday, April 22, 2010

Wedding Memory Quilt

wedding quilt with inner border only


This weekend I am working on the next stage of my daughter and son-in-law's wedding quilt. It consists of a combination of 20 solid message squares and 30 "log cabin" blocks assembled and sewn together "on the point" (meaning like diamonds) with setting triangles on the edge and at the corners.

I brought the 20 six inch squares of fabric with us to our daughter and son-in-law's wedding in the Dominican Republic in November for the wedding guests to write a message on for them. First I ironed the fabric squares onto freezer paper to give it stability and then bought a set of fabric pens to write with. We got a wonderful variety of comments and congratulatory wishes from the guests and family members.

The blocks have all been completed, now that Grandma has written her message on the last block. I had previously made border strips out of 2 1/2 inch squares of all the different fabrics used in the quilt blocks. Next I sewed the border strips together into a multicolored inner border, and sewed it on, around the outside of the blocks. Then the 4 1/2 inch sand colored outer border will come next. (See photo thus far at top of post.)

The back will be the same dark green fabric as used in the log cabin blocks and I plan on flipping the excess back fabric over to the front to make what I call a "cheater edge" or mock binding.

The finished quilt will be about 52" by 60" in size. Then I'm going to make a hanging sleeve on the back, something new for me, but the directions are in a couple of my books and it looks simple enough to do.

I'll add more photos once the entire quilt is completed. :)


Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home