Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Pillowcases, Sundresses and another Baby Quilt

Toddler Pillowcases

Toddler-sized pillow cases
Sewed 2 more pillowcases for our little twins for their new toddler-sized pillows. These two are  15" X 24", a little longer than the first 2 that I had sewn. (In fact just yesterday, I added a few more inches to the end of the first 2 cases to make them extend over the edge of the pillows a bit more.)

New baby Girl Quilt: for Shayla's baby, Chloe who arrived on June 14th/14

I saw a quilt in a magazine for a kit made completely of squares like this. (I think these are called split square blocks). I thought they would make a nice 'border' around a kitty panel that I had in my stash. 


I started off with 2 strip sets with light and dark fabrics, 2 1/2 inches wide. The squares are also 2 /12 inches and the rectangles 2 1/2 X 4 1/2".
The 4 small blocks below were sewn together to make one 8 1/2 inch block.

Creating the 8 1/2 inch block (with seam allowance)


Kitty panel in centre with created blocks all around.

The centre kitty panel was 18" X 22 1/2".  I added some white sashing to make it 24 1/2 inches square.  ( 1 1/2 inches white sashing on the top and bottom of the panel, and 2 1/2 inches of sashing on the sides.) 

(OOPS! I saw a mistake in the arrangement of one of my blocks on the bottom. Flipped it the wrong way! Had to use my seam ripper to take that apart.)



















































Completed quilt top: 40" X 40" inches square. Next I washed and ironed the flannel back fabric (white with tiny stars) and sandwiched it together with a chunk of batting. (Had to whipstitch a 6 inch width of batting onto the side of the chunk I had in order to make it wider. )

I like the split squares so much, I'm tempted to make a whole quilt out of them some time soon, maybe for one of my little grand daughters...

Now the sandwiched quilt is sitting here while I contemplate ideas to quilt it. :)





0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home