Sunday, December 14, 2014

Wacky Jack Hallowe'en Table Runner 2014

Wacky Jack Hallowe'en Table Runner
This table runner matches the placemats that I had made for my 4 grandchildren and also the Hallowe'en wallhanging that I had made last year.  It ended up being  22 1/2" X 53" quite a good size.

I made 2 foundation pieced blocks, each one 12 1/2 inches square; one is a black cat and the other is a witch on a broomstick. These were 2 free foundation piecing patterns from this website: www.artisania.wordpress.com.  


These were the most difficult foundation piecing I have ever made! There were no directions as to how to start or anything. It looked like you had to cut the patterns into 4 or 5 pieces and make each one separately, then sew them together.   That was more tricky than it sounds. Lining them up was really difficult.


The black cat wasn't too bad, but the witch was a real b..tc to do!  I took that block apart and sewed it back together three times! I  finally had to add an extra piece of fabric to one piece in the centre around the broomstick just so it would match up to the rest.  :(

(Note to self: throw this witch pattern away and never make it again.)










The Jack-o-lantern block was easy as I have made them so many times now. :) It is also 12 1/2 square when completed.  Next I sewed  the 3 big blocks together with 1 1/2" strips of sashing (black spiderweb/ pumpkin fabric). I fussy cut 2 rectangles 4 X 12 1/2" from a black hallowe'en print and sewed one on each end.



Next I added 2" strips of the web/ pumpkin fabric to the top and bottom of the runner.

 I appliquéd eyes, nose and mouth (solid black fabric) and a green stem on the Jack-o-lantern.  I used Heat bond thermo web and machine stitched the appliqués with stitch #45 on my Janome.


The back fabric is a cute orange and black eyeball print.  I did not add batting to the middle, instead I used up the rest of my roll of "Whisper web". After that I made a mock binding around the edge (flipping over the extra back fabric to use.)
 Last  I lightly machine quilted it to keep the Whisper Web from shifting around.

I like how it turned out!


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home