Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Weekender Tulip Tote Bag

Finished my tulip tote bag today!



This morning I made the handles, stitched the 5" wide fabric strips onto the 1 3/4 " double layer of batting strips.  (The handles are 35" long.)

The next step was to put the bag inside of the lining with right sides facing in order to sew the two together. At this point I discovered that me measuring skills had definitely been lacking. The lining was too narrow! I had to open the seam on one end and add a 3 inch strip of fabric to make the lining the proper width. :(

I decided that I might as well add an inside pocket so I used some of the extra dark plum colored "tulip" fabric and made an 10 X 9" pocket which I stitched onto the lining.


 The lining had a 6 inch opening in the side so that once the bag was sewn inside out onto the inside out lining, I pulled the bag through the opening so everything was right side out. After stitching the lining opening closed and then sewing a 1/4" seam all the way around the top of the bag... voila!... I was done!

This tote bag is huger than I expected! 24" wide by 21" long; very roomy. I guess that's why the directions call it a Weekender Tote, LOL!





0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home