Sunday, February 19, 2012

New Flannel Raggy Quilt


I have started working on a new flannel raggy quilt. The blocks are made up of 6 inch squares of yellow, orange and turquoise flannel.  I love making these little baby quilts as they are so quick and easy to make.




First I cut out 72 six inch flannel squares. After that I used up a bunch of leftover batting to put in the middle of each block. I cut the batting pieces about 4 3/4 inches square and plunked one in between two 6 inch flannel squares.
 Most of my squares are yellow with colorful zoo animals in turquoise and red.  The back flannel squares are mostly a solid turquoise with a few yellow ones thrown in for added color and pizzaz. I sewed a 1/2 inch seam all around each edge to make 36 blocks.




Next I sewed a diagonal line across the centre of each block to hold the batting in place.
Now I am in the process of arranging all the blocks in a pleasing pattern. What I usually do is place the blocks on the floor and take a photo of each pattern Option that I come up with as I re arrange the blocks numerous times. It's important to make sure that there will be an interesting pattern on the back of the quilt as well.  The easiest thing to do is to make all the back squares out of the same flannel. Then there's no worry of the pattern being lopsided on the reverse side...

I'm looking forward to finishing this little quilt to see the finished product.  ♥
There are 4 babies arriving between March and May to various friends and relatives so it will be gifted to someone before long.  :)



I also sewed a couple more fitted mattress covers/ sheets for the Greco play yards that my daughter is using for her one month old twins to sleep in.  These 2 sheets are identical (unlike the twins, Lol!), both made from blue cotton with little colorful fishes on it.
This time I made an elastic case all around the outside and threaded the 3/8 inch elastic through it.  It was so much easier than trying to sew the elastic around the seamed edge like I did with the flannel fitted sheets.

I'm taking them to the twin's house tomorrow and hopefully they will fit well. After visiting and helping out for a few days I will probably make a couple more once I get home again. :)





0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home