Friday, May 22, 2020

Star Wars Quilt for a Special Boy May 4/ 2019

Star Wars Quilt for a Special Boy

My 7year old (almost 8) grandson needed a bigger quilt. His toddler sized monster trucks quilt was too small. I asked him what he wanted on it and he said "Star Wars"!  So I set about looking at fabrics and patterns and trying to find one I could make him.
After looking at a variety of patterns I decided on Tribal Vibe pattern from McCall's quick quilts - Oct. Nov. 2014 issue (pages 20-22).
It has a variety of large 12" snowball blocks (which would showcase the Star Wars fabric well) in between 12 " chain blocks.



I also downloaded some paper pieced Star Wars block patterns, a 12 inch Ti fighter pattern, a Darth Vader block pattern and an appliqued R2D2 block pattern :






tie fighter block






R2






I made 15  nine patch chain blocks- solid blue/ red with Star Wars centre. ( 9 blocks have blue star wars centres, 6 blocks have red Star Wars centres.)


I made 12 snowball blocks- 6 blocks with dark blue Star Wars fabric with grey corners and 6 blocks red Star Wars fabric.  (All blocks are 12" square.)



There are 5 blocks in each row, with 6 rows altogether.
I added a red 2 inch wide outer border with 3 red and blue 2" blocks at the corners.
Outer border is 3 inches wide, Starry Night fabric

The completed quilt measures 70" X 80" inches.

Star Wars quilt sandwich 


After washing the kitchen floor, I sandwiched the quilt layers together, then pinned them well using up most of my safety pins.
Next came the decision on how to quilt the blocks.... It took a while to come up with something but I decided starts were definitely called for.
I free motion quilted wavy lines across the centres of the blue and the red snowball blocks, 

The 9 patch blocks had 4 stars , one on each solid blue square. (I drew the stars freehand with an air erase pen. )

The 4 (chain) corner blocks had vertical or horizontal lines quilted on them, (alternating each row).  



I finished the quilt on May the 4th ironically enough. :) 



Quilting has been completed now. 

Here is the back of the quilt showing my machine quilting:



I am really proud of this one! :D  


Last : a Star Wars Pillowcase

Star Wars pillowcase






0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home