Friday, May 22, 2020

More 2019 quilts Daniel's Baby quilt

Daniel's baby quilt July/ August 2019



One of my close friends was about to have her very first grandbaby, a baby boy so is was trying to figure out an easy baby quilt to make him.
I have so many fabric scraps now that I decided it might be a good time to use some of them up.
I collected a lot of them together and started cutting 2 1/2 inch strips. I found a strip set package of mostly blues, greys and light browns at the Red Deer quilt show and I got started.


I started making scrappy 9 patch blocks out of the 2 1/2 inch squares, (creating 6 inch blocks.)



I also had some Winnie the Pooh fabric in my stash which I though would go well. One of the fabrics had small 1 inch squares throughout so I decided to put  a 10" X 15" inch piece in the centre of the quilt like a panel.  I sewed a 1 1/2 inch border of blue print fabric around it. 


6 X 6 inch 9 patch blocks

Next I laid out a lot of the 9 patch squares to see which ones would fit together without having 2 squares the same too near each other.The I sewed 3 squares together and sewed them on both sides.
Next I sewed 4 of the 9 patches across the bottom.

After that I sewed another blue print fabric 1 inch border around it.

The next part was sewing another border of  2 1/2 squares all around.

Then add a third blue 1 1/2 inch border all around.


The last step to this baby quilt top was to add an outer border (4 inches wide) of the same fabric as the centre panel.


The completed quilt top measured 40 X 45 inches.

Sandwiched and pinned together
I sandwiched and pinned together the quilt top with batting and a blue bumpy minkee back fabric.

Then I machine quilted it, sewed on the binding and added a label.
I drove up to Edmonton at the beginning of September to cuddle the baby and give Daniel his new quilt. :)











0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home