Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Half Triangle Square Border




Finally finished the border around my little heart appliqued quilt top. These little half triangle squares took almost as long to make and sew together as the whole rest of the quilt top! I had to tweak the border a little to get it to fit but I'm quite pleased with the results.

I decided to make all the triangles go in one direction on the top and bottom border and in the other direction for the sides. The binding around the outside of the quilt will be yellow, once I get that far.


                                      



The little half triangles are not difficult to make, just time consuming. You have to cut out about 80 little 2 7/8 inch squares, half of them white and the rest a mixture of your leftover fabrics from the rest of your blocks. I made a few extra so I could mix and math them better.



Then you draw a line diagonally across the back of each white square and lay it on top of a colored square with rights sides facing.



Then you sew a 1/4 inch seam on either side of the diagonal pencil line, then cut the squares in half along the line. After that, you open it up and press the little half triangle square that you have created. All those little squares get sewn together to form your  outer border strips.  Glad THAT'S done!


Now the next step is to choose a back fabric for it...
 I have 3 possible backs. Not sure yet which one I'll use. Thought I might ask the recipient of this quilt which one she would prefer. :)




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home