Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Scrappity Doo Dah!


Have been working on making blocks for a scrap quilt made up of fabric pieces of many of the quilt projects that I have made over the course of the last 6 years. Should be interesting.... Each of the fabrics will remind me of a quilt or bag or place mat that I have made. :)

I downloaded the directions from the McCall's Quilting site. It is a design by Ann Weber of the Gingham Girls.
This pattern uses 6 inch squares and 1 1/2 X 8 inch strips. Each square is cut in half diagonally and the strips are randomly sewn in the middle between the two halves. The directions say to then trim the block to a 5 inch block but I find that's a bit of a waste of the fabric so I have been trimming mine to 5 5/8 inch blocks which seems to be working out well.




So far I have 50 blocks completed.  20 more 6" squares and 1 1/2" strips have been cut and are ready to have the strip sewn in the diagonal centre. I will probably end up with about 70 finished blocks, but I will need a minimum of 120 blocks to make a throw-sized scrappy quilt which I plan to use on the couch in the family room.

This is one of those ongoing projects that won't be completed for a while, depending on how many other projects I do in the meantime and how much scrap fabric I have left over in the next months.

So you will be hearing off and on about this one! :)

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home