Thursday, August 4, 2011

Rag baby Quilt


Just finished my very first "rag quilt" today.  I'm quite pleased with the results, if I do say so and it was so easy to make.  It just requires 2 layers of flannel fabric cut into squares and sewn together with 1/2 inch seams.  How easy is that! :D
My squares are 6 inches, but you can make them bigger if you like.


I sewed the solid orange on the back of the ducks, the solid yellow on the back of the stripes, and the solid turquoise on the back of the sheep.   Then I laid the blocks out on the floor and tried a  few different patterns. I took photos of them with my camera and then chose the arrangements I liked best. 

Sewing the blocks together with seams up

Next step: Pin each row of blocks, then sew the blocks together with the seams up.

Sewing the rows together
After you have 2 rows of blocks done, sew those 2 rows together with the top row  of seams facing up and the bottom row of seams facing down. That way you can see if the top seam is going the wrong way and you can lift the foot and smooth it in the right direction before it gets sewn.

Scoring the raised seams
Once all the rows are sewn together, the last step requires a good pair of scissors and a strong hand. make little snips all along the raised seams of the quilt, about 1/4 inch apart. Do the same around the outside of the quilt as well. 
Last, wash the quilt in cold water on gentle cycle and dry it.


Smooth out the blocks and, VOILA! you have a soft cuddly little quilt. :)
This one is 30" X 30" inches in size.



I loved the results so much that I quickly made another in pinks and purples.





These squares were also cut 6" ( 5 1/2 finished) with 6 rows or 6 blocks for a finished raggy quilt approx. 30" by 30". (This is my little girl version.  :)


Other projects:

"Buttercup baby"


This pattern is from  Creative Knitting Magazine, May 2009 issue on page 52-53. It's called "Buttercup Baby Set". I have made the matching blue bonnet now as well, and am currently working on a yellow version. I also plan on making the booties to match both  the yellow and the blue sweater.

Preemie beanies and Striped Cardigan
The striped cardigan is from the "Knit Simple" magazine  Spring/Summer 2006 page 81/82. (Downfall of this one: too many colored ends to weave in.)
The Preemie beanies are from  Creative Knitting magazine March 2007 issue.  I made one beanie in all 3 sizes, but like in the story "Goldilocks and the 3 Bears", one is too big and one is too small, but I think the middle one might be just right! :)

Hmmm, you'd think there was a baby coming or something..... :)




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home