Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Rag Teddy Bear quilt


I love making these simple little flannel quilts. My first 2 were made without batting in the blocks of flannel.  In fact I didn't even know you were supposed to until I went to Penticton to visit our step-daughter where we went to Poppins Quilt Parlour on Main Street.  I guess many people do that to make the flannel rag quilt firmer and warmer. You are supposed to cut the batting into squares that are one inch smaller than your flannel squares so that none of the batting gets caught in the raggy edges.


Teddy Bear raggy squares sewn together in rows

But Kathy, the salesperson there, told me that it is just a personal preference and it depends on what you are going to use the little quilt for whether you would want batting in the middle of your flannel blocks or not. If you do put batting in the middles, then you also have to quilt each block to keep the batting from shifting around.  The one I saw there at the store had hearts and xs stitched in the centres of the blocks. Seemed like a lot of extra work to me....

I found the cutest Teddy bear flannel fabric there with polka dot fabric in matching colors. Perfect for another raggy flannel quilt, I thought! :)


Back of the Teddy Bear rag quilt
I made these blocks bigger than the ones in my first 2 raggy quilts. These are 7 inch blocks, ( 6 1/2 finished), with 5 rows of 5 blocks. The finished quilt is approx. 31" by 31".

I sewed a polka dot square on the back of each teddy bear square and then just alternated them to get both bears and dots on both sides of the little quilt.


Rag quilt front before snipping the edges

Close up of adorable teddy bears :)

Now I'm ready for having same sex twins or opposite sex twins. Oops! Hope I'm not letting the cat out of the bag too soon!   :)
Happy Quilting!



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home