Sunday, June 13, 2010

"Little Preemies" Project & Wedding quilt

(Week of June 7th)
"Quilting for Babes" (little preemie project) quilt 24' X 36"


This tiny quilt was made from 4"x2" flying geese blocks which were mostly scrap fabric from other projects. It has a 'mock edge' which means the back fabric was wrapped forward around the front edge, folded in half and then sewn on.  It is an easy edge to make although I do prefer the usual binding method of making separate strips of fabric to sew on. 

This little quilt is going to Winnipeg with me in July where It will be dropped off at kathy Murray's door along with my daughter's little quilt that she is sewing for the same "Quilting for Babes" project.

It has been raining here again for the last few days, which is so unusual out here at Buffalo Lake for this time of the year. But since I can't get out and do any gardening, it leaves me lots of time to do indoor things like quilting, reading and knitting.  

I'm going to work on 3 projects in the next few days: I have all the pieces knit for a dark green bulky cardigan and now just have to hand stitch them together which is very time consuming ( and my least favorite part of knitting). After that It's just a matter of casting on stitches to knit the color and sew on the 4 buttons and it's ready to wear!

I also have finally figured out a relatively simple strategy for machine quilting my daughter and son-in-law's wedding quilt which has sat here all pinned together for 2 weeks now....  I'm looking forward to completing that project in order to give it to them in 2 weeks when they come to visit. 


Wedding Memories quilt for my daughter & her husband

One more new thing: I have to make a hanging sleeve for the back of it. Something new for me, but I checked in my "Quilters Bible" last night and it looks easy enough to do. Just requires a 6 inch strip of fabric the length of the quilt , sew a double 1/2 sean on the short ends and sew it together in a long tube, right sides facing of course. Turn the tube right side out , flatten the tube and hand stitch it to the back of the quilt at the top and bottom, just down from the top edging of the quilt.  Sounds simple enough ....


Kitty claims the quilt. LOL!







0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home