Friday, September 3, 2010

MS Support Quilt


saw tooth star- top only, without 4 inch outer border

I have been working on a throw sized quilt this summer to use at a fund raiser for a close friend of mine who has MS. She is traveling to Bulgaria for the 'Liberation treatment' to open the veins in her neck leading from the brain in the hopes that that will help reduce ( or even eliminate) her symptoms. This is such a brave thing for her to do and I would like to help in whatever way possible. So making her a quilt for her auction next weekend is a small thing.

Machine quilting the blocks 'in the ditch'

This is a colorful quilt made with blocks of saw tooth stars in batik fabric. (Looks much like the 'tie dye' from the 60's.)  The finished quilt will be 54' by 61' in size.
I have most of the machine quilting done now, but still have approximately 8 hours of work left.  I'm finished the 'in the ditch' stitching around and in the blocks, and the next step is to 'free motion' quilt the 4 inch outer border in a lazy butterfly motif.

After that I need to cut long strips of fabric for the edging or I may just flip the back material over on the front edge and do a mock border. (Less work and because I'm under a time crunch...)


Raggedy Ann/ red animals- top only
I have also completed the top and 'sandwiched' together a baby quilt for my husband's niece who is due next week. I won't get around to finishing this little number until after the 13th so I hope that baby doesn't arrive too soon! (Sorry, Jessie!)  It is the red animal/ Raggedy Ann print quilt I mentioned in a previous blog. I love how it looks and it is relatively easy to sew. I'm looking forward to seeing the finished product!

Pinned together ready to be quilted



Our new 'Time Consumer/ Computer Helper/ Quilt Sitter'




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home