Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Only the Edging Left/ And Cushion Covers



I have spent the last 2 days working on quilting my little Newton's Lullaby Dreams quilt. I sewed mostly 'in the ditch' along the strips of turquoise sashing on the front with turquoise thread and I echo quilted a 1/4 inch out around all the stars with yellow. I also quilted vertically along some of the 'patchwork' panels. Then I sewed a shell/ ocean wave pattern on the narrow border using free motion quilting and a 'meander' pattern on the wide yellow outer border. It turned out really well with very few places needing rework.

After that I trimmed off the excess batting and the fraction of the excess back fabric that was left. I was very lucky that I had enough. I kept unpinning and smoothing out the quilt top and pulling the back fabric taut as I quilted and it worked out
. I see now though, why most directions call for 2 to 3 inches of extra back fabric around all the edges when quilting. I think it's mainly to preserve your sanity!

Now I just need to cut the 2 1/4 inch fabric strips which will make up the edging. I can't believe I'm almost done! :D





I have also been working on another project....

I had decided that the cushion covers on the throw cushions need washing, but they didn't look so good  after I dried them. I decided I didn't want to put them back on, I would design a couple of new ones. I have been working on making blocks out of scrap fabrics over the last few months which I am eventually planning on sewing together into a throw quilt for the couch.


I decided that I would use some of those blocks and make cushion covers out of them.  The cushions are approx. 19" by 21" and I made the covers slightly bigger , about 21 3/4 inches square. The back is made out of the same fabric as the sashing around the blocks.  I had to use the invisible green zipper from the old cover as I could not find the right size of zipper ( 20 ") anywhere. Strangely enough, the 2 zippers from the old cushion covers aren't even the same size! One of them is 2 " shorter. 
Now I have to hunt for a second zipper before I can finish the second cover....






0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home